Let’s Talk… Goals + Purpose
Whether you have a website or you’re planning on starting one it’s never too late to
re-prioritize your website.
You can do that by answering the following questions:
- Who is your website for?
-What do you want your visitors to see when they first visit your website?
-What do you want your visitors to do when they visit your website?
-What is your call to action?
- What do you want your content to say about your or your company?
- What do you want to measure?
I know it seems like a lot, but by answering these questions you will have a better idea on what is necessary for your website.
For example, you own a non-profit organization and you have a program that provides lunches for kids who families can’t afford to buy school lunch. So let’s answer the following questions based on your organization’s needs.
Who is your website for? Parents, Schools, Foundations, and Donors.
What do you want your visitors to see when they first visit your website?
- Our mission and vision of this program and how it can help impact underprivileged families and children
- Parents to learn about our program and sign up for our program
- Build relationships with local schools in the area to offer our program to their children’s parents
- Position ourselves in a way that appeals to government, foundations, and donors. By providing them with information about our program, organization, and how to contact us.
What do you want your visitors to do when they visit your website?
- Learn more about our program and its mission
- Contact us to inquire more information
- Sign up for our program
What is your call to action?
- Learn More
- Sign Up
- Contact Us
What do you want your content to say about your or your company?
- That we are here to help families and schools
- That we are here to impact the community in a positive way
- That it takes the each person, the community, the schools, and the government to work as a team to help children and families in America.
What do you want to measure?
- Measure Traffic: Where is it coming from? Social Media? News blogs/websites? Parent Forums? Schools websites? Where do they click? What pages are visited the most?
- Measure In-take: How many people are signing up on a monthly or weekly basis
It is a little rough example, but now you get an idea of what your designer needs from you or if you are building your own site, what you need to ask yourself.